[libvirt-users] Feedback for a new application NIMO using the libvirt API

Jay Mehta jay87.mehta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 17:24:27 UTC 2018

Hello folks,

A while back I developed VM instance monitoring tool "NIMO", Nova
(Openstack's project Nova) Instance Monitor. The need to develop Nimo arise
with requirement to monitor VM's boot stages.

A VM boot undergoes multiple stages, like creating block device, mounting
root filesystem, mounting local filesystem, DHCP lease acquiring,
post-install activities, etc., and it could fail or stuck at any of these
stages. It would be good to have a monitor in place to identify which stage
a VM is in while booting and how much time it takes at each stage.

A special need for such tool arise on the cloud space, where end-user do
not have access to log on to the hypervisor.

It also helps to people who build custom VM images and add a lot of tasks
in post install script and would like to know performance of each step.

The below is the github link and it has an architecture diagram.
https://github.com/jay-g-mehta/nimo

I would love to hear all of your response and feel free to use it, extend
it.

Thanks,
Jay