[libvirt-users] How libvirt interacts with dhcpd?

Laine Stump laine at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 03:55:12 UTC 2018

On 06/15/2018 06:49 PM, Daniel. wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm using libvirt together with xCAT, on the same host, for testing
> purposes. xCAT install and manages dhcpd. How libvirt interacts with
> dhcpd? And if doens't how does the dhcp server of libvirt works, plus
> where I can find information on how to troubleshot it?

libvirt doesn't use dhcpd. It runs a separate instance of dnsmasq for
each virtual network that is defined within libvirt. Each instance
listens *only* on the bridge device that was created by libvirt for that
network. IIfi dhcpd has an option that tells it to listen on all
interfaces (or to automatically start listening on any new interface
that is created), you should disable that option so that it doesn't
attempt to listen for dhcp requests on the bridges created by libvirt.