[libvirt-users] Reintroduce "allocate entire disk" checkbox on virt-manager

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Mon Jun 18 20:05:09 UTC 2018

Hi list,
on older virt-manager versions (ie: what shipped with RHEL 6), a
checkbox called "allocate entire disk" was selectable when configuring a
new virtual machine. When checked, it means that the RAW disk image file
was entirely allocated, generally issuing a fallocate() call. When
unchecked, the disk image was a sparse file, with on-demand space
allocation.

On new virt-manager versions (ie: what ships with RHEL 7), the checkbox
is gone. This means that for creating a sparse allocated file from
within the "new vm" wizard, one is forced to use a Qcow2 file
(selectable in the global preferences). No sparse RAM images can be
created within such wizard.

As a heavy consumer of RAW disk files, I would really like to have the
checkbox back, especially in RHEL/CentOS 7.x
Do you plan to reintroduce it? For RHEL/CentOS, should I open a Bugzilla
ticket?
Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan