[libvirt-users] How libvirt interacts with dhcpd?

Laine Stump laine at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 13:59:42 UTC 2018

On 06/18/2018 01:00 PM, Daniel. wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Laine. My problem is that dnsmasq is masking
> dhcpd, xCAT uses dhcpd for PXE stuff. If dnsmasq answer DHCP requests
> the PXE boot won' t work. I want to see the logs for ensuring the
> dnsmasq is not masking dhcpd.

The dnsmasq run by libvirtd only listens on bridges that libvirt itself
creates for libvirt virtual networks. If the PXE boot you're talking
about is happening on a different interface, then libvirt's dnsmasq will
not be messing with it.

If, on the other hand, you want to do PXE boot on the virtual networks
created by libvirt, then you can either 1) disable libvirt's dhcp on
that network by removing the <dhcp> section from the network definition
and restarting it, or 2) read in the libvirt virtual network
documentation on how to set it up to support PXE boot via dnsmasq (and
don't configure your dhcpd to listen on that interface).