[libvirt-users] Using alias under disk in XML

Andre Goree andre at drenet.net
Thu Mar 29 15:10:35 UTC 2018

I've been trying to follow the information found here [1] in order to
provide an alias for RBD disks I'm defining, however it does not appear
to be working and I wanted to see if I was doing something wrong.

I define the alias like so (using 'virsh edit'):

     <disk type='file' device='disk'>
       <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'
error_policy='stop' discard='unmap'/>
       ...truncated...
       <alias name='ua-test'/>
     </disk>

However, when I then 'virsh dumpxml {guest}', the alias is not there.
There is no error given after my edits are made and saved.  It just
seems that libvirt is completely ignoring or removing my changes,
without reason.

Can anyone give any insight on why this might be happening, and/or help
me with the proper way of defining the alias?

1 - https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html

--
Andre Goree
Email     - andre at drenet.net