[libvirt-users] KVM or Qemu

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 19:34:19 UTC 2018

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 03:24:58PM -0400, Jamie Fargen wrote:
> List-
>
> I know this may be slightly off topic and if so tell me to hit up the
> emu-discuss mailing list, but does anyone know how to detect the difference
> between a guest that is being fully emulates using qemu and a guest that is
> running para-virtualized using KVM?

[snip]

>  Since it is report a Qemu cpu and Manufacturer Bochs I am suspecting that
> it is qemu fully emulated vs KVM para-virtualized.

Unfortunately that's not sufficient to distinguish it. The fairly "standard"
way to identify different hypervisors at a technical level on x86 is to read
CPUID leaf 0x40000000.  For KVM it reports the string "KVMKVMKVM\0\0\0"
while on QEMU >= 2.10 it reports "TCGTCGTCGTCG" for QEMU emulation.

In general it is best not to try this yourself and instead just run the
"virt-what" command, as there are many other heuristics to check for
various hypervisors / architectures.

Regards,
Daniel