[libvirt-users] Xen PVH Support in libvirt

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at suse.com
Tue Mar 13 23:12:33 UTC 2018

On 03/13/2018 06:10 AM, Tizian Lamatsch wrote:
> Hello @ all,
>
> i wonder if there is any support for Xen PVH
> (https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Software_Overview) within libvirt.

No, PVH is currently not supported in the libvirt libxl driver.

> If i parse a xen native domU config file with 'virsh domxml-from-native' in
> which i set type='pvh' it changes it in the libvirt xml output to normal pv.
> Also the docs of libvirt do not state something like pvh.
>
> I am currently running Xen 4.10.0 with LibVirt 4.0.0.
>
> If it is not possible at the moment, can you please tell if this is a planned
> feature of libvirt?

Support for PVH is on a very long todo list. I'm not sure when I'll get to it,
but patches are welcome.

FYI, Marek provided patches [0] to support the Xen community's first attempt at
PVH (aka PVHv1, aka HVM lite), but thankfully those were never merged since
PVHv1 is dead. In the meantime, no one has added support for the PVH mode
ultimately embraced (aka PVHv2) by the Xen community.

Regards,
Jim

[0] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2016-August/msg00376.html