Re: [libvirt-users] qemu-img snapshot on running virtual machine

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 09:36:52AM +0100, Gionatan Danti wrote:
Hi all,
I have a question about internal qcow2 snapshots of a live/running
virtual machine taken via "qemu-img snapshot command".

My question is: is it safe to execute the command above against a
running machine? Or it will cause corruption? Naively I think it should
*not* be safe, however, I would like a direct confirmation.

It is not safe.

For a running domain, you need to go through libvirt and also save the
memory of the VM - doing just the disk snapshot for a running machine
would be an equivalent of copying a physical hard drive after pulling
out the power cord.

Jan