[libvirt-users] qemu-img snapshot on running virtual machine

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Thu Mar 15 13:55:44 UTC 2018

Il 15-03-2018 09:13 Ján Tomko ha scritto:
> It is not safe.
>
> For a running domain, you need to go through libvirt and also save the
> memory of the VM - doing just the disk snapshot for a running machine
> would be an equivalent of copying a physical hard drive after pulling
> out the power cord.
>
> Jan

Hi Jan, I 100% agree that taking a snapshot without dumping the memory
content would be akin to "pulling the plug" on the guest.

However, I was speaking about disk image file consistency. In other
words: does taking a snapshot of an in-use virtual disk have a chance to
corrupt the *original* disk Qcow2 image file?

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico