[libvirt-users] Specify DNS and gateway for dnsmasq

Laine Stump laine at redhat.com
Fri Mar 16 14:34:44 UTC 2018

On 03/14/2018 03:21 AM, Gionatan Danti wrote:

> One more question: what about setting a custom DNS? For example,
> consider the scenario where a specific guest acts as a DNS server (ie:
> active directory server) and other clients in the same isolated network
> should use its IP address as DNS.
>
> If I understand it correctly, I can use the "dns forward" directive to,
> well, forward dnsmasq's requests to the specific IP address.

This *should* work. When a network is isolated, we add "no-resolv" to
the dnsmasq conf file to prevent having unresolvable requests forwarded
to the hosts listed in /etc/resolv.conf on the host, but since
<forwarder> is handled by adding a server= option to dnsmasq.conf, that
should still work (I haven't tried it though).

> But what
> about directly assigning the correct DNS server to the running guests?

The would be nice, but there is no support for it.