[libvirt-users] Persisting the libvirt guest's reason code.

Tanmoy Sinha tanmoy.sinha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 08:21:00 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am currently facing an issue with libvirt w.r.t  a guest's state and
reason code. Precisely following are steps:

1. I have a running guest named *linux-test *on KVM
2. I do a
*           $> virsh save linux-test linux-saved.dat*
3. At this point
*          $> virsh domstate --reason linux-test *shows  *shutoff(saved)*
4. I restarted the libvirtd daemon
*         $>systemctl restart libvirtd*
5. Now when I check for the domain state,
*         $> virsh domstate --reason linux-test  *it reads
*shutoff(unknown)*

>From what I understand:

The reason code for a particular state is maintained in-memory (no
persistence in libvirt). Now when libvirtd restarts it queries the qemu
monitor for all the running qemu processes and reassigns the state and
reason. But for guests which are in shutoff state, there’s exists no QEMU
instance for it, hence it has no way to know what was the last reason (i..e
the default value 0 or UNKNOWN), but the state remains as shutfoff!

Is there a patch for it? Or someway to retain the reason code across
reboots and restart?

Regards,
Tanmoy Sinha