[libvirt-users] VF MAC not reverted to all zero MAC/domain xml MAC on VM restart

Laine Stump laine at redhat.com
Wed May 9 18:57:35 UTC 2018

On 05/08/2018 11:04 PM, Thirunavukarasu Sengalvarayan -X (tsengalv - HCL
TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED at Cisco) wrote:
> Hi Laine,
>
> Thanks for your detailed response.
> I have replied Inline.

Thanks. (Now if you could just get your email client configured to
properly quote the original mail when you select "Reply" rather than
just putting it all starting in the column :-) As an example, see how my
email client has added "> " at the beginning of each line (and placed a
short attribution at the top rather than adding the entire mail header,
which normally is done only when selecting the "Forward" command)).

> In the past (when "trust=on" didn't exist) this wasn't a problem. Maybe we need to explicitly support setting trust=on, as well as re-initializing the MAC address when we get the RESET event from qemu; it seems like this might be something that wouldn't always be desired, so it may need to be configurable.

> If you're using RHEL, can you open a support case asking for this behavior - this will cause a properly prioritized bugzilla record to be created and tracked. If you're not using RHEL, then you can either open an upstream bugzilla (there is information on how to do this somewhere on libvirt.org), or (even better) you could submit a patch to do it.
>
> In the meantime, I'm fairly certain you can get the behavior you desire by powering down the guest, then restarting it. This will cause libvirt to reinitialize the admin mac with the original value set in libvirt's config.
>
> <Thiru>  I understand that you agree to do necessary changes in libvirt which will reinitialize the MAC address on VM reboot.
> 	 Yes, we are using RHEL. I would open a case asking for this behavior change.

Don't get ahead of yourself! :-) I only said that it sound like it might
be a good idea, not that I would do the work (although it's completely
possible that may end up what happens). The first step is to get the
issue recorded so it can be properly prioritized.