[libvirt-users] e1000 network interface takes a long time to set the link ready

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Thu May 10 19:06:26 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 11:57 AM, Daniel Romero <romero.cl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> try to use virtio instead...

That is exactly what I tried, and indeed the link is ready almost
immediately. But there are some issues with virtio, like missing
drivers in default Windows images. Kubevirt doesn't currently allow to
choose the type of the NIC (arguably it should), and its current
default type is e1000. Just switching the default to virtio won't fly
with Windows, so unless we expose the choice of the NIC type to
kubevirt users, they are affected by one issue (slow cirros boot) or
another (no networking in windows machines). While we are going to
explore exposing the choice in next kubevirt versions, it would be
nice to have cirros behave correctly regardless of NIC type.

Ihar