[libvirt-users] e1000 network interface takes a long time to set the link ready

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 11 08:42:56 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 11:53:23AM -0700, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In kubevirt, we discovered [1] that whenever e1000 is used for vNIC,
> link on the interface becomes ready several seconds after 'ifup' is
> executed, which for some buggy images like cirros may slow down boot
> process for up to 1 minute [2]. If we switch from e1000 to virtio, the
> link is brought up and ready almost immediately.
>
> For the record, I am using the following versions:
> - L0 kernel: 4.16.5-200.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP
> - libvirt: 3.7.0-4.fc27
> - guest kernel: 4.4.0-28-generic #47-Ubuntu
>
> Is there something specific about e1000 that makes it initialize the
> link too slowly on libvirt or guest side?

Try the e1000e device instead perhaps.

If all other NIC models work, then this is likely to be a QEMU problem
and should be reported as a bug to them. I notice you're running Fedora 27
though, so before reporting bugs please try with latest upstream QEMU
releases (2.12) to see if that's better

> [1] https://github.com/kubevirt/kubevirt/issues/936
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/cirros/+bug/1768955

Regards,