[libvirt-users] Create qcow2 v3 volumes via libvirt

Paul O'Rorke paul at tracker-software.com
Tue May 1 21:17:26 UTC 2018

I have been using internal snapshots on production qcow2 images for a
couple of years, admittedly as infrequently as possible with one
exception and that exception has had multiple snapshots taken and
removed using virt-manager's GUI.

I was unaware of this:
> There are some technical downsides to
> internal snapshots IIUC, such as inability to free the space used by the
> internal snapshot when it is deleted,

This might explain why this VM recently kept going into a paused state
and I had to extend the volume to get it to stay up.  This VM is used
for testing our software in SharePoint and we make heavy use of
snapshots.  Is there nothing I can to do recover that space?

What would be the best practice then for a VM that needs to be able to
create and remove snapshots on a regular basis?

*Paul O'Rorke*
*Tracker Software Products (Canada) Limited *
www.tracker-software.com <http://www.tracker-software.com/>
Tel: +1 (250) 324 1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324 1623

<http://www.tracker-software.com/>