[libvirt-users] VF MAC not reverted to all zero MAC/domain xml MAC on VM restart

Thirunavukarasu Sengalvarayan -X (tsengalv - HCL TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED at Cisco) tsengalv at cisco.com
Fri May 4 22:25:50 UTC 2018

Hi Laine,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I think I have not described my problem clearly.

Let me explain my issue below with the information that you had requested.

My assumption according to the information you gave me is that the admin MAC and VF MAC are the same in my case.
I see a PF (GE0-0) interface but I don’t see a vfnetdev interface as you mentioned in your email.

* Given this assumption, when the host is booted, the admin MAC and VF MAC are both 00:00:00:00:00:00.
[root at nfvis ~]# ip link show GE0-0
3: GE0-0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,ALLMULTI,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 9216<tel:9216> qdisc mq master ovs-system state UP mode DEFAULT qlen 1000<tel:1000>
link/ether a0:23:9f:ce:b1:f8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
vf 0 MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00, spoof checking on, link-state auto, trust off
vf 1 MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00, spoof checking on, link-state auto, trust off
[root at nfvis ~]#

* the VF is assigned to a guest, so the admin MAC is set to the configured value (52:54:00:29:3c:bf) as shown below
[root at nfvis ~]# ip link show GE0-0
3: GE0-0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,ALLMULTI,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 9216<tel:9216> qdisc mq master ovs-system state UP mode DEFAULT qlen 1000<tel:1000>
link/ether a0:23:9f:ce:b1:f8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
vf 0 MAC 52:54:00:29:3c:bf, spoof checking on, link-state auto, trust on
vf 1 MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00, spoof checking on, link-state auto, trust on
[root at nfvis ~]#

* Configure bond interface on the guest and added member interface to the bond
   On doing the above step, bond interface mac (52:54:00:29:3c:be) gets assigned to VF
[root at nfvis libvirt]# ip link show GE0-0
3: GE0-0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,ALLMULTI,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 9216<tel:9216> qdisc mq master ovs-system state UP mode DEFAULT qlen 1000<tel:1000>
link/ether a0:23:9f:ce:b1:f8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
vf 0 MAC 52:54:00:29:3c:be, spoof checking on, link-state auto, trust on
vf 1 MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00, spoof checking on, link-state auto, trust on
[root at nfvis libvirt]#

* The next step would be to restart the VM from within the VM console (* we are not doing a shut down and start from the host *).
   At this stage, the admin MAC is not reverted to the domain xml mac(52:54:00:29:3c:bf)
   Instead it retains the same bond mac (52:54:00:29:3c:be) which was set before the VM was restarted from the console.

[root at nfvis libvirt]# ip link show GE0-0
3: GE0-0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,ALLMULTI,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 9216<tel:9216> qdisc mq master ovs-system state UP mode DEFAULT qlen 1000<tel:1000>
link/ether a0:23:9f:ce:b1:f8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
vf 0 MAC 52:54:00:29:3c:be, spoof checking on, link-state auto, trust on
vf 1 MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00, spoof checking on, link-state auto, trust on

So the actual problem we face here, is after the VM is restarted and after the members of bond interface are released, VF mac is not getting reverted back to domain xml mac(52:54:00:29:3c:bf).
Instead the VF mac and admin mac are set to the bond mac “52:54:00:29:3c:be” and leading to a duplicate mac issue.
My expectation was that after the VM is restarted from the console, libvirt should revert the VF’s MAC to the original MAC,
which in our case was the domain xml MAC, which is not happening in my case.

Attached is the log file as requested.

Interface related contents from domain xml:
<interface type='hostdev' managed='yes'>
<mac address='52:54:00:29:3c:bf'/>
<driver name='vfio'/>
<source>
<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x10' function='0x0'/>
</source>
<target dev='vnic1'/>
<model type='virtio'/>
<alias name='hostdev0'/>
<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
</interface>

Thanks
Thiru.