[libvirt-users] How to determine if my guest is loaded

Stallard, Adam Adam.Stallard at Honeywell.com
Mon May 7 22:50:25 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am having trouble determining if my VM is up or not. Using virsh leads me to believe that the guest OS is not being loaded:

virsh domblkstat guestvm
rd_req 0
rd_bytes 0
wr_req 0
wr_bytes 0
flush_operations 0
rd_total_times 0
wr_total_times 0
flush_total_times 0

The VM state is running when outputting list -all. I think the guest OS is just not booted properly. Trying to bring up a console with virsh console guestvm prints:

Connected to domain guestvm
Escape character is ^]

But then I cannot type anything to the screen  or see any more output.

In my /var/log/libvirt/qemu/domain**/guestvm.log I see no errors. Only the qemu start up command, and a note about redirecting output to console /dev/pts/0.

The VM is a custom built image that has a file system mounted on /dev/vg/guestvm. We have a custom kernel at /var/lib/qemu/bzImage. Running a startup command directly with qemu-system-x86_64 allows me to boot the machine properly and bring up a console using netcat.

The guest does not use grub. I am not sure if something special is needed in my domain configuration to boot the guest inside the VM. Here is my config:

<domain type='qemu'>
  <name>guestvm</name>
  <uuid>1878670e-ee57-4059-8d60-243a1559c2d3</uuid>
  <memory>219200</memory>
  <currentMemory>219200</currentMemory>
  <vcpu>2</vcpu>
  <os>
    <type arch='i686' machine='pc'>hvm</type>
    <kernel>/var/lib/qemu/bzImage<kernel/>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <source dev='/dev/vg/guestvm'/>
      <target dev='sda'/>
      <readonly/>