[libvirt-users] e1000 network interface takes a long time to set the link ready

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Thu May 10 18:53:23 UTC 2018

Hi,

In kubevirt, we discovered [1] that whenever e1000 is used for vNIC,
link on the interface becomes ready several seconds after 'ifup' is
executed, which for some buggy images like cirros may slow down boot
process for up to 1 minute [2]. If we switch from e1000 to virtio, the
link is brought up and ready almost immediately.

For the record, I am using the following versions:
- L0 kernel: 4.16.5-200.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP
- libvirt: 3.7.0-4.fc27
- guest kernel: 4.4.0-28-generic #47-Ubuntu

Is there something specific about e1000 that makes it initialize the
link too slowly on libvirt or guest side?

[1] https://github.com/kubevirt/kubevirt/issues/936
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/cirros/+bug/1768955

Ihar