[libvirt-users] Two Node Cluster

Peter Crowther peter.crowther at melandra.com
Wed May 30 20:44:58 UTC 2018

I have to say that I wouldn't do the networking that way - in fact, in the
clusters I manage, we haven't done the networking that way :-).  Rather
than layer 3 routing between VMs, we've chosen to use layer 2 virtual
switching (yes, using openvswitch).  We have the luxury of multiple 10G
NICs between our hosts, so we've separated out the management network from
the guest network, simply to ensure that we retain administrative access to
the hosts via ssh.  If you want to live a little more dangerously, you
could use VLAN or VXLAN on one NIC - or you could spend a few dollars on an
extra network card on each host for the peace of mind!

For the project that's been live for two years: we presently run four hosts
on the lab's production network (another two on its acceptance-test
network, and another one as a "kickaround" host for playing about with
configs).  Guest VMs on all four production hosts share 192.168.59.0/24
(why "59" is a story for another day), on an OVS virtual switch on each
host named br-guest, with the guest-specific NIC also set as a port on the
virtual switch.  Guest traffic is therefore sent transparently between the
hosts where needed, and we can live-migrate a guest from one host to
another with no need to change the guest's IP address.  Because we share a
common guest network and IP range between all hosts, it's trivial to add
(or remove) hosts - no host needs to know anything about routing to another
host, and in fact only our management layer cares how many hosts we have.

We happen to have "controller" nodes that run redundant DHCP servers with
non-overlapping scopes, but the exact location is not a requirement of this
setup.  We could equally well set up a DHCP service on the guest network on
each host, allowing allocation of e.g. 192.168.59.1 to .100 on one host,
.101 to .200 on another host.  Guests will typically receive offers from
each DHCP server and can choose, which is fine as they're all on the same
network.  This provides redundancy in case of a full or failed DHCP server,
which your routed network approach wouldn't without some careful DHCP
forwarding work.

We happen to base our hosts on CentOS 7, but I manage other Debian-derived
systems and can probably remember enough about its network setup to help
with Ubuntu.  Certainly I can help with OVS weirdnesses; it took some time
to get my head round exactly how it works.  That said, I've never set up a
kvm host on Debian.

Good luck; happy to provide further pointers if useful.

Cheers,

- Peter