[libvirt-users] External Snapshots vs Core Dump.

Tanmoy Sinha tanmoy.sinha at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 14:38:13 UTC 2018

Hi,

I would like to get a clear picture on external snapshots memory dump (
i.e. system-checkpoint) vs dumping the memory of the guest. I have created
external snapshots which produces a disk file and a memory file. I am not
able to use this memory file in any memory analysis tools, for instance
volatility. However, the memory dump taken through "virsh dump" works just
fine with such tools.

What am I missing here? The memory dump generated through external snapshot
seems to be compressed, compared to the one generated by virsh dump. Can I
specify the memory dump format in the snapshot XML?

Was reading through a couple of old threads in libvirt-users, haven't found
anything conclusive. If this is a redundant query, guide me me to the
thread.

Thanks,
Tanmoy