[libvirt-users] Hello World

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 16:52:12 UTC 2018

On 11/05/2018 03:07 PM, Ameya Sinha wrote:
> Hello Everyone!
>
> I'm Ameya Sinha, a student, and I wanted to contribute to the
> libvirt organization. I have read through the contributing guidelines (
> https://libvirt.org/contribute.html) and contributor guidelines (
> https://libvirt.org/hacking.html). Can someone suggest how should I
> proceed from here?

Welcome!

It's always nice to see people interested in libvirt. Besides what Erik
wrote I can suggest writing completers. But that depends what your area
of interest is.

Completers are small functions that are called from virsh whenever user
started typing something and hit TAB TAB. Their purpose is to offer list
of strings that suit entered input. If there is only one item on the
list then it's entered in automatically. For instance:

virsh # dom<TAB><TAB>
domblkerror         domblkstat          domcontrol          domfsinfo ..

virsh # start --domain <TAB><TAB>
fedora       fedora.i686  freebsd      gentoo ...

(this will vary depending on your domains intalled)

The framework is merged, the only thing that is missing are these small
functions (called callbacks) that are called by the framework at
appropriate times. For instance: virshDomainNameCompleter() is called
whenever a domain name is to be completed (just like we've seen for
virsh start example).

I find writing completers to be a nice introduction into libvirt because
they use our public APIs therefore one gets sense of libvirt. But feel
free to chose anything, I'm just putting it out there.

Michal