[libvirt-users] libvirt with persistent device names

Jan Marquardt jm at artfiles.de
Wed Nov 7 07:02:49 UTC 2018

> I am trying to create a logical volume storage pool with persistent
> device names for the block devices, because I can't/don't want to ensure
> that /dev/sd* names are persistent through reboots.
>
> virsh # pool-define-as web2067 logical - -
> /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:18:00.0-scsi-0:2:2:0  web2067 /dev/web2067
> virsh # pool-build web2067
>
> These two steps work as expected and the pv and the vg get created, but
> when I try to start the pool I get the following error:
>
> virsh # pool-start web2067
> error: Failed to start pool web2067
> error: unsupported configuration: cannot find any matching source
> devices for logical volume group 'web2067'
>
> If I do the same steps just with /dev/sdX instead of
> /dev/disk/by-path/..., the pool gets created correctly.
>
> This looks like a bug for me or am I wrong? If this is the case, is this
> and known issue and fixed in later versions?
>
> I am running Ubuntu 18.04 with libvirt in version 4.0.0.

For the record: This issue was not a libvirt issue. It's a lvm
configuration issue. Thanks to Christian over at Ubuntu Launchpad for
pointing that out.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+bug/1801918

--
Artfiles New Media GmbH | Zirkusweg 1 | 20359 Hamburg
Tel: 040 - 32 02 72 90 | Fax: 040 - 32 02 72 95