[libvirt-users] virsh reboot "in shutdown" state?

Pavel Hrdina phrdina at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 16:01:57 UTC 2018

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 06:25:52AM -0800, Michael Taboada wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a weird issue, and I'm trying to confirm if it's a bug, and if so, if there is a workaround until it is fixed.
> The situation is this: If I virsh reboot <domain> --mode acpi, it will actually reboot the domain cleanly (watching from the console allows me to see the full shutdown messages, followed by a bootup). However, after this point, virsh domstate <domain> provides the state "in shutdown". From what I read, this is only supposed to persist for more than a tiny fraction of a second if there was a problem killing qemu or cleaning up its resources which, to my knowledge, should not apply here since there is no killing of qemu involved, just an acpi signal sent to the domain. Am I wrong? Either way, the only way to run any start/stop type commands with virsh after running the reboot command is to destroy the domain, obviously not very practical.

Hi,

this is already a known issue and there is already a fix for that in
upstream <e47949357ba268e7e8c3adea7c262b84fa002302> [1].

There is no known workaround, you need to create a bug for arch linux to
backport this patch or wait for new version of libvirt to be released.

Pavel

[1] <https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2018-November/msg00250.html>