[libvirt-users] External Snapshots vs Core Dump.

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 13:44:40 UTC 2018

[please don't top-post on technical lists]

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 19:03:02 +0530, Tanmoy Sinha wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. Currently I am taking a dump of
> the memory with the virsh dump ‘live’ flag and taking the snapshot with the
> memory file pointed to /dev/null, without even pausing the guest. I don’t

You can omit the memory snapshot specification and then it will be
completely omitted.

> have a use case to restore from the snapshot snapshot so hopefully this
> approach will not cause any issue.

The issue is that if you don't pause the VM the state between the memory
state captured in the dump and the disk images will not be completely
consistent.

Additionally the same applies for using --live. The memory image itself
may be inconsistent.

If you want to be sure that everything is consistent, you should pause
the VM.