[libvirt-users] This QEMU doesn't support the LSI 53C895A SCSI controller

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Tue Oct 2 08:11:30 UTC 2018

On 02/10/2018 09:19, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> Your assessment looks correct, and the controller is indeed compiled
> out downstream. Filing a BZ sounds like a reasonable next step, but
> you might also want to investigate virt-v2v, which I believe will
> take care of switching to the more performant virtio-scsi (including
> installing the necessary drivers) for you when moving guests off
> VMware.

Hi Andrea, thanks for the reply.

 From my understanding, virt-v2v use virt-win-reg to open the disk image
and install new drivers in the registry. I am doing a very similar thing
by manually using virt-win-reg to add the mergeide.reg file to enable
booting from any IDE controller.

That said, both virt-v2v and manual virt-win-reg have a significant
shortcoming: when used on non-cleanly-shutdown images, the act of
opening the NTFS filesystem alters the journal/filesystem state. In one
planned lab test I found some file to be corrupted after running
virt-win-reg, and I traced back the cause to the unclean NTFS
shutdown/mounting.

Adding a supported controller will prevent any issue: even with an
unclean shutdown, the machine will boot and replay its NTFS journal. If
needed, it can also run the proper Windows filesystem checking tool
(chkdsk) which is, as far I know, better positioned to correct any
filesystem problem.

Am I missing something?
Thanks.

--