[libvirt-users] Windows guest skipping chkdsk if using Spice display

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Wed Oct 17 07:15:23 UTC 2018

Hi all,
as per subject, when a Windows guest using a Spice display is rebooted
with a planned chkdsk, the consistency check is always skipped.

It seems that the Spice display issues some "phantom" keystrokes, which
are then intended by Windows as the "skip chkdsk at boot" signal.

I tried to use a Spice display with no additional features (ie: USB
redirection), but to no avail. To workaround the problem I must use a
VNC display, which is less featureful than the Spice one.

My system and package versions are:
CentOS 7.5 x86-64
spice-gtk3-0.34-3.el7_5.1.x86_64
spice-server-0.14.0-2.el7_5.4.x86_64
spice-glib-0.34-3.el7_5.1.x86_64
libvirt-3.9.0-14.el7_5.7.x86_64
qemu-kvm-ev-2.10.0-21.el7_5.4.1.x86_64

It seems I am not the only one experiencing this problem:
http://seifesrants.blogspot.com/2016/07/ghost-keystrokes-with-libvirt-kvm-spice.html

Any suggestion?
Thanks.

--