[libvirt-users] how to use LV(container) created by lxc-create?

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Oct 20 21:22:30 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Sat, 2018-10-20 at 18:10 +0100, lejeczek wrote:
> hi everyone,
>
> how can I use a LV created by lxc in libvirt guest domain?
> You know, you lxc-create with LV as backstore for a
> container(ubuntu in my case) and now you want to give to libvit.
> That, I thought would be a very common case but I failed to
> find a good howto on how one: lxc-create(lvm) => let libvirt
> take control over it. Or it's not how you would do it at all?
> many thanks, L.

lxc creates containers whereas lib-virt deals with full blown virtual
machines. The two are not the same.

Processes inside LXC containers actually run in the host system, i.e.,
uses the hosts kernel. They are isolated and protected from the rest of
the system by features in the kernel.

Virtual machine are completely independent systems. A VM runs its own
kernel and the processes running inside a VM are not visible to the
host system at all.

Hope this makes some kind of sense. In short, I don't think what is in
the LV created for a LXC container is sufficient for it to run as a VM.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039