[libvirt-users] libvirt with persistent device names

Jan Marquardt jm at artfiles.de
Fri Oct 26 11:29:02 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am trying to create a logical volume storage pool with persistent
device names for the block devices, because I can't/don't want to ensure
that /dev/sd* names are persistent through reboots.

virsh # pool-define-as web2067 logical - -
/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:18:00.0-scsi-0:2:2:0  web2067 /dev/web2067
virsh # pool-build web2067

These two steps work as expected and the pv and the vg get created, but
when I try to start the pool I get the following error:

virsh # pool-start web2067
error: Failed to start pool web2067
error: unsupported configuration: cannot find any matching source
devices for logical volume group 'web2067'

If I do the same steps just with /dev/sdX instead of
/dev/disk/by-path/..., the pool gets created correctly.

This looks like a bug for me or am I wrong? If this is the case, is this
and known issue and fixed in later versions?

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 with libvirt in version 4.0.0.

Best Regards

Jan