[libvirt-users] Intel's latest L1TF vulnerability and libvirt

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 5 08:27:05 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 11:11:30AM -0700, Paul O'Rorke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with regards Intels L1TF vulnerabilities, it seems they are somewhat
> non-committal on whether turning off HyperThreading is required, suggesting
> people
>
> > Consult with your hypervisor vendor for more guidance.
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/l1tf.html#faq-answers-10-0
>
> What is the consensus in the Libvirt community about the risks (or not) of
> leaving Hyperthreading enabled?  After updates my hosts are showing they
> have conditional cache flushing enabled yet still report as "SMT
> vulnerable":
>
> root at trk-kvm-03:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/l1tf
> Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable
>
> Thoughts?

You should consider hyperthreading *unsafe*, unless you strictly pin all
VMs on the host such that each pair of SMT siblings can only be used by
vCPUs from a single VM at any time. You also have to pin OS services so
that non-VM processes can't be run on HT siblings that are being used by
VMs. Even if you do this, if QEMU non-VCPU threads are running on the HT
siblings there might be risk if those non-VCPU threads hold secrets that
should be isolated from the guest.

Strictly pinning VMs to CPU is a rather painful administrative burden for
users and/or mgmt apps, as well as preventing overcommit, so reducing how
many VMs you can run per host. I expect these factors make it non-viable
for many/most cases, leaving disabling SMT as the only remaining option.

If you've not already seen it there's some more info here that might be
of use in understanding L1TF mitigations:

  https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/L1TF

Regards,
Daniel