[libvirt-users] Immutable backing files

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Mon Sep 3 11:14:49 UTC 2018

Hi list,
suppose I have an immutable (ie: due to a read-only snapshot) backing file.

After creating an overlay file with "qemu-img create -f qcow2 -o
backing_file=/path/to/immutable/file.img current.qcow2", libvirt refuse
to start the virtual machine and exits with an error stating "Could not
open backing file /path/to/immutable/file.img: Permission denied".

 From my understanding, libvirtd is trying to change the
owner/permissions/selinux context of the backing file but, being it
immutable, fails to start the VM. Is that the expected behavior?

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico