[libvirt-users] Network hooks for ethernet interfaces

Laine Stump laine at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 11:44:24 UTC 2019

On 4/9/19 11:35 AM, Ruben Kerkhof wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 5:10 PM Michal Privoznik <mprivozn at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/9/19 4:38 PM, Ruben Kerkhof wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a hook script, /etc/libvirt/hooks/network, that doesn't seem to
>>> be called when I attach an interface with type 'ethernet' with this
>>> xml snippet:
>>>
>>> <interface type='ethernet'>
>>>       <model type="virtio"/>
>>>       <source>
>>>           <ip address="10.100.0.1" prefix="24" peer="10.100.0.10"/>
>>>       </source>
>>> </interface>
>>>
>>> https://www.libvirt.org/hooks.html#intro says
>>> "A network is started or stopped or an interface is plugged/unplugged
>>> to/from the network (since 1.2.2)".
>>>
>>> While I don't have a network defined in xml, I'd expect this to work
>>> just as well for 'ethernet' type interfaces. Am I wrong?
>>

>> Hotplugging an 'ethernet' type of interface doesn't really relate to any
>> libvirt network. Hence libvirt doesn't call 'network' hook script. If
>> you'd continue reading you'll see what is the 'network' hook fed with
>> (on stdin): info on domain in question AND network where the event
>> ocurred. But there is no network, is it?
>
> No not in the libvirt sense there isn't, you're right.
>>
>> But maybe you can work around this by waiting for
>> DEVICE_ADDED/DEVICE_REMOVED events? What is it that you're trying to solve?
>
> I'd like to enable proxy_arp on the interface among other things.
> I can easily do this from the same script that adds the interface
> though, so I have a workaround, but a hook that triggers on all
> interface events felt cleaner.

Also keep in mind that the hook scripts aren't an officially supported
part of the API, and are thus liable to change without warning. As an
example, danpb has proposed changing the network hook:

  https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2019-March/msg01280.html

Once this goes in, any network hook script that uses the plugged and
unplugged hooks will no longer work; you would instead need to use the
port-created and port-deleted hooks.