[libvirt-users] Libvirt pool cannot see or create rbd clones

Weller, Lennart Lennart.Weller at hansemerkur.de
Fri Apr 26 10:20:57 UTC 2019

Some additional information that I have found since yesterday:

When I create a volume like this:

<volume>
   <name>coreos00.disk</name>
   <capacity unit="bytes">9116319744</capacity>
   <target>
       <format type="raw"></format>
       <permissions>
           <mode>644</mode>
       </permissions>
   </target>
   <backingStore>
       <path>vmdisks/coreos_2023</path>
       <format type="raw"></format>
   </backingStore>
</volume>

Which does not seem to work with the backing store either as it creates
an empty volume without the underlying parent. But when I now delete
the volume via rbd and create a new clone it shows up in libvirt and
can be used by the machine.

# rbd -p vmdisks rm coreos00.disk
# rbd clone vmdisks/coreos_2023 at basis vmdisks/coreos00.disk

Sadly this is not a very efficient way to create the clones I would
say.

Anyone got any, like literally any, ideas what might be wrong in this
setup?