[libvirt-users] Network hooks for ethernet interfaces

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Tue Apr 9 15:10:30 UTC 2019

On 4/9/19 4:38 PM, Ruben Kerkhof wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a hook script, /etc/libvirt/hooks/network, that doesn't seem to
> be called when I attach an interface with type 'ethernet' with this
> xml snippet:
>
> <interface type='ethernet'>
>      <model type="virtio"/>
>      <source>
>          <ip address="10.100.0.1" prefix="24" peer="10.100.0.10"/>
>      </source>
> </interface>
>
> https://www.libvirt.org/hooks.html#intro says
> "A network is started or stopped or an interface is plugged/unplugged
> to/from the network (since 1.2.2)".
>
> While I don't have a network defined in xml, I'd expect this to work
> just as well for 'ethernet' type interfaces. Am I wrong?

Hotplugging an 'ethernet' type of interface doesn't really relate to any
libvirt network. Hence libvirt doesn't call 'network' hook script. If
you'd continue reading you'll see what is the 'network' hook fed with
(on stdin): info on domain in question AND network where the event
ocurred. But there is no network, is it?

But maybe you can work around this by waiting for
DEVICE_ADDED/DEVICE_REMOVED events? What is it that you're trying to solve?

Michal