Re: [libvirt-users] Network hooks for ethernet interfaces

On 4/9/19 4:38 PM, Ruben Kerkhof wrote:
Hi all,

I have a hook script, /etc/libvirt/hooks/network, that doesn't seem to
be called when I attach an interface with type 'ethernet' with this
xml snippet:

<interface type='ethernet'>
     <model type="virtio"/>
     <source>
         <ip address="10.100.0.1" prefix="24" peer="10.100.0.10"/>
     </source>
</interface>

https://www.libvirt.org/hooks.html#intro says
"A network is started or stopped or an interface is plugged/unplugged
to/from the network (since 1.2.2)".

While I don't have a network defined in xml, I'd expect this to work
just as well for 'ethernet' type interfaces. Am I wrong?

Hotplugging an 'ethernet' type of interface doesn't really relate to any libvirt network. Hence libvirt doesn't call 'network' hook script. If you'd continue reading you'll see what is the 'network' hook fed with (on stdin): info on domain in question AND network where the event ocurred. But there is no network, is it?

But maybe you can work around this by waiting for DEVICE_ADDED/DEVICE_REMOVED events? What is it that you're trying to solve?

Michal