[libvirt-users] Network hooks for ethernet interfaces

Ruben Kerkhof ruben at rubenkerkhof.com
Wed Apr 10 16:44:46 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 1:44 PM Laine Stump <laine at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 4/9/19 11:35 AM, Ruben Kerkhof wrote:

> >> Hotplugging an 'ethernet' type of interface doesn't really relate to any
> >> libvirt network. Hence libvirt doesn't call 'network' hook script. If
> >> you'd continue reading you'll see what is the 'network' hook fed with
> >> (on stdin): info on domain in question AND network where the event
> >> ocurred. But there is no network, is it?
> >
> > No not in the libvirt sense there isn't, you're right.
> >>
> >> But maybe you can work around this by waiting for
> >> DEVICE_ADDED/DEVICE_REMOVED events? What is it that you're trying to solve?
> >
> > I'd like to enable proxy_arp on the interface among other things.
> > I can easily do this from the same script that adds the interface
> > though, so I have a workaround, but a hook that triggers on all
> > interface events felt cleaner.
>
> Also keep in mind that the hook scripts aren't an officially supported
> part of the API, and are thus liable to change without warning. As an
> example, danpb has proposed changing the network hook:
>
>   https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2019-March/msg01280.html
>
> Once this goes in, any network hook script that uses the plugged and
> unplugged hooks will no longer work; you would instead need to use the
> port-created and port-deleted hooks.

That's good to know, thank you Laine.

In that case perhaps adding this functionality to libvirt itself would
make more sense?

Some background, I'm implementing
https://vincent.bernat.ch/en/blog/2018-l3-routing-hypervisor, so
announcing /32 host routes to our vms with BGP.
Our existing vms use /24 network addressing, and to keep that working,
I need to set proxy_arp on the interface.

Kind regards,

Ruben