[libvirt-users] libvirtd via unix socket using system uri

lameventanas at gmail.com lameventanas at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 11:06:53 UTC 2019

I want to run libvirtd as a special user, and allowing users that belong
to a special group to connect via qemu+unix:///system (eg: unix socket).

I did everything necessary to do so: created a libvirt user and group,
added the libvirt user to the kvm group, added my normal user to the
libvirt group, and made sure the socket is owned by libvirt:libvirt with
permissions set to 770.

libvirtd starts successfully, but when I try to connect as the normal
user I get this error:

bash$ virsh --connect qemu+unix://system
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
error: invalid argument: using unix socket and remote server 'system' is
not supported.

A trace shows virsh is not even trying to open the socket.

I want to use the socket because I just need local connectivity and
don't want to run sasl and set up certificates for this, but at the same
time want to run libvirtd as a dedicated user.

Is there any reason to prevent libvirt from being used like this?