[libvirt-users] libvirtd via unix socket using system uri

Peter Crowther peter.crowther at melandra.com
Tue Apr 30 15:53:44 UTC 2019

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 at 16:43, Michal Privoznik <mprivozn at redhat.com> wrote:

> Long story short, why bother with /system if you can't use it and not
> use /session instead?
>
> Because according to the FAQ, /session isn't suitable for my use:

   - You will definitely want to use qemu:///system if your VMs are acting
   as servers. VM autostart on host boot only works for 'system' [Yes, my VMs
   are acting as servers]
   - the root libvirtd instance has necessary permissions to use proper
   networkings via bridges or virtual networks. [Yes, I use OVS, with quite a
   complex bridge+VLAN system configured at boot]
   - qemu:///session has a serious drawback: [...] the only out of the box
   network option is qemu's usermode networking, which has nonobvious
   limitations, so its usage is discouraged.

(Source:
https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/FAQ#What_is_the_difference_between_qemu:.2F.2F.2Fsystem_and_qemu:.2F.2F.2Fsession.3F_Which_one_should_I_use.3F
)

So I have to use /system, according to the FAQ.  But it'd be nice to nail
the daemon down to reduce the attack surface.

- Peter