[libvirt-users] CPU and Memory requirements for host OS ( CentOS 7.6) on Dell Poweredge R630 server

Peter Crowther peter.crowther at melandra.com
Tue Aug 27 16:31:50 UTC 2019

*may or may not be* enough - a huge amount depends on your workloads.
As ever, watching the available memory and how much CPU is in use in
"top" will give you a better idea of how your infrastructure is
behaving, as will watching the server charts in virt-manager if it's
available.  For example, for some of our workloads, we can overcommit
memory by a factor of two (so run nearly 200G of virtual server RAM on
a 96G machine) and overcommit CPU by nearly a factor of three, and
everything's fine.  For other workloads, they need to get all the
resources we promised them.

Sorry not to give an exact answer; it's a rather similar situation to
"is this machine big enough to run my database server?" but with more
variables.

- Peter