[libvirt-users] nvme, spdk and host linux version

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Thu Dec 12 10:40:46 UTC 2019

On 11/27/19 4:12 PM, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> I have been following the patches on nvme support on the list and was
> wondering: If I wanted to build a vm host to be on the bleeding edge
> for nvme and spdk fun in libvirt, which linux distro --
> fedora/ubuntu/centos/etc -- should I pick?

For NVMe itself it probably doesn't matter as it doesn't require any
special library. However, I'm not so sure about SPDK, esp. whether my
NVMe patches is what you really need? My patches enable the only missing
combination:

host kernel storage stack + qemu storage stack = <disk type='block>
<source dev='/dev/nvme0n1'/> </disk>
   This has disadvantage of latency added by both stacks, but allows
migration.

neither host kernel nor qemu storage stack = <hostdev/> (aka PCI assignment)
   This offers near bare metal latencies, but prohibits migration.

qemu storage stack only = <disk type='nvme'/>
   This is what my patches implement and should combine the above two:
small latencies and ability to migrate.

Michal