[libvirt-users] Request to be allotted a project or a feature in pipeline

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Dec 16 13:12:20 UTC 2019

On 12/15/19 5:22 PM, Utsav Parmar wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>

> I'm Utsav Parmar, pursuing my B. Tech in Computer Engineering. I like to
> work on new technologies and am currently looking for open-source
> projects to contribute to.
>

> As it may turn out, I've got a college project in my curriculum this
> semester under “Software Development Practice”, and I'd like to work
> upon a project and/or a feature in pipeline spanning over 3 months in
> Libvirt organization as a part of the same college project. My mentor
> cum professor has already agreed for the same, given that I get approval
> from one of the maintainers. So, if possible, will you please allot me
> something to work upon?

Hi,

it's always nice to see people interested in open source. Usually,
people chose what they want to work on, it's very rare to tell others
what to do, but since you are seeking some mentoring I am willing to
guide you.

Firstly, you need to set your development environment. I don't know what
distribution you are using, but on Fedora it is sufficient to 'dnf
build-dep libvirt' plus you might need to install some missing packages
like git. Once you're done you should be able to clone and build from
our repo:

   git clone git://libvirt.org/libvirt.git libvirt.git
   cd libvirt.git
   mkdir _build && cd _build && ../autogen.sh --system
   make -j10 all syntax-check check

The autogen.sh script will run configure which will error out if you're
missing anything crucial.

Now, I don't know how strong your C skills are, but you can start by
picking a task from our list of beginner projects:

   https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/BiteSizedTasks

We can discuss this further off the list. There is also a document which
covers first steps:

   https://libvirt.org/hacking.html

Please reply off the list what is it that you are interested in and I
will try to come up with a task suitable for you. Or catch me on IRC
channel (nick is mprivozn):

   https://libvirt.org/contact.html#irc

Michal