[libvirt-users] (no subject)

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 11:54:55 UTC 2019

        When I use kvm+libvirt as my hypervisor at home, I usually
pass logical volumes as the guests' drives (I probably can do better
but the disk here is just a garden-variety SSD, not NVMe).

    <emulator>/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none' io='native'/>
      <source file='/dev/vmhost_vg0/desktop'/>
      <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04'
function='0x0'/>
    </disk>

That works fine as local drives, but what about if I want to use the
network storage (can provide nfs and iscsi)? Should I:

1. Create one iscsi target for each guest? Reasoning here is that some
OS can boot off iscsi.
2. Create a local lv with the minimum required disk space to boot, and
then network mount the rest be it as nfs or iscsi?
3. Create a large iscsi target, do not format it, but instead
configure it as a lvm, handing out logical volumes as before? So the
vm guest won't know any better.

I am leaning towards door #3, but I am open for suggestions.