[libvirt-users] Define libvirt network portgroup with native untagged.

Tanmoy Sinha tanmoy.sinha at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 07:49:19 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have created a libvirt network on top of a OVS bridge (named vlan-br)
which receives all VLAN tagged packets, i.e. connected to a trunk port. The
definition xml is below.

What I want to achieve in the portgroup definition 'trunk-native-1221' is
to allow 1221 as untagged/native but rest all VLAN as tagged. The following
portgroup definition works, but I don't want to enumerate all the tagged
VLANs in the portgroup definition.

I understand what libvirt does on the underlying OVS bridge, once a guest
interface (say vNetX) is attached to the portgroup is to set the vnetX with
tag=1221 and vlan_mode= native-untagged and it sets trunk =
[1222,1221,1223,1224]. Now if I go and clear the trunk setting on the OVS
bridge for that interface I am able to see both tagged and untagged (1221)
packets on the guest.

This is exactly what I want to achieve in the libvirt network definition,
i.e. have one untagged VLAN and* allow all other VLANs without having to
enumerate them in the portgroup definition, as that is hard to maintain. *

<network>

        <name>kvm-core-net</name>

        <bridge name = 'vlan-br'/>

        <forward mode = 'bridge'/>