[libvirt-users] Strange issues with libvirt v5.5.0

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 15:19:03 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 16:46:29 +0200, Julian Sternberg wrote:

Hi,

at first I'd like to ask you to CC the libvirt-users or libvir-list with
such kind of questions (questions implying regression of behaviour are
okay on the development list).

I've CC'd libvirt-users with this reply to archive this.

Also I'd strongly encourage you _not_ to use HTML formatting on
thechnical communications. As you can see I'm using a plain-text mail
client and it messes up.

> https://github.com/libvirt/libvirt/commit/7d5b283065e484645b6116397ac55b068396c430</div>

That one does not seem to be related to your issue.

It simply assumes that when starting a qemu process (so nothing really
related to any of the vol-* and pool-* virsh APIs) when the disk is
referencing a volume from the storage driver and the referenced volume
is a directory, then we assume that qemu should use 'fat' as the driver.

 I'll have to cut off everything here and replace it with a non-HTML
 version so there might be weird quoting:

> on libvirt 5.5.0 the volumes list only show the first image from the remote ceph rbd cluster:
>
> # virsh vol-list vm_volumes
> Name Path
> vmanager101-root vm_volumes/vmanager101-root
>
> But the rbd command itself all seing them:
> # rbd -p vm_volumes ls
> vmanager101-root
> vmanager102-root
> vmanager103-root
> vmanager105-root
>
> on libvirt5.4.0 everything looks correct and it shows all the existing ones:
>
> # virsh vol-list vm_volumes
> Name Path
> vmanager101-root vm_volumes/vmanager101-root
> vmanager102-root vm_volumes/vmanager102-root
> vmanager103-root vm_volumes/vmanager103-root
> vmanager105-root vm_volumes/vmanager105-root

I've looked at the git history and didn't find anything that could be
related here unfortunately. I'm also not very familiar with RBD in
libvirt.

> Seconds strange behavior is as follow:
> virsh vol-create-as vm_volumes test.img --capacity 1G --format raw
> error: Failed to create vol test.img error: unsupported configuration: only RAW volumes are supported by this storage pool

So this is really weird. The error message is produced if the target
format is not 'raw' but the above command clearly supplies it.

I'd suggest you collect debug logs while trying both and attach them
here. Unfortunately I don't see what could be wrong here.