[libvirt-users] Question regarding using multiple physical functions inside a network pool.

Mohamed, Faris Faris.Mohamed at kandy.io
Fri Jul 12 13:44:18 UTC 2019

Hello,

I was planning on adding multiple physical functions using the built in SR-IOV features offered by libvirt to a create a bigger pool of virtual functions using the

<forward mode='hostdev' managed='yes'> heading

(I want to be able to use more virtual machines then there are virtual functions available on an ethernet port).

As soon as I try to define multiple physical functions in a pool, I get this error:

error: Failed to define network from biggernetwork.xml
error: XML error: Only one <pf> element is allowed in <forward> of network bigger network

when using this command:

sudo virsh net-define biggernetwork.xml

on the following XML document:

<network>
   <name>bigger network</name>
   <forward mode='hostdev' managed='yes'>
    <pf dev='eth5'/>
    <pf dev='eth7'/>
   </forward>
</network>

It seems that you are not able to add multiple physical functions to this network to create a pool of more virtual functions.

Is there anyway that you can do this using that I am missing? I seem to be looking at the documentation and there seems to be nothing related to this. I think this would be extremely useful and would make automate adding virtual functions to virtual machines much easier to manage.

Thanks in advance,
Faris

Notice: This e-mail together with any attachments may contain information of Ribbon Communications Inc. that
is confidential and/or proprietary for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, disclosure, reliance or
distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately and then delete all copies, including any attachments.