[libvirt-users] filesharing file owner problem

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Wed Jul 17 07:50:58 UTC 2019

On 7/16/19 8:08 AM, Vojto Ľach wrote:
> Hello,
>   I'm having an issue with usage of libvirt driven qemu where I'm sharing
> directory with guest machine.
> virsh domain filesharing configuration:
>      <filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
>        <driver type='path' wrpolicy='immediate'/>
>        <source dir='/media/share'/>
>        <target dir='data'/>
>        <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07'
> function='0x0'/>
>      </filesystem>
>
> /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf :
> user = "root"
> group = "root"
> dynamic_ownership = 0
> clear_emulator_capabilities = 0

So this configuration means that qemu is run under root:root. Libvirt
does not interfere with the files a guest is creating. Libvirt does not
get any event or anything. It's up to qemu to chown() the files.

I've just tested this with qemu from git and looks like labels are
applied correctly. So maybe try upgrading your qemu?

> even with this unsecure configuration I wasn't able to achieve that newly
> created files/dirs in guest machine have ownership of guest machine user
> but they are still created under root user id. Also strange is that group
> of those files/dirs are correct.
> Can somebody help me with this?
>
> Thank you.

You're welcome :-)