[libvirt-users] Same host migration

Sukrit Bhatnagar skrtbhtngr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 11:15:05 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have been selected for GSoC'19 under qemu and was
trying out migration of the pvrdma device.
For my current task, I need to perform a "null" migration
i.e. migrate the VM to the same host for testing purpose.
I am using libvirt 5.1.0 on Fedora 30.

>From what I know, libvirt does not allow this type of
migration by default.
Trying this:
virsh migrate --unsafe --verbose fedora29 qemu+unix:///system
results in the following error:
error: internal error: Attempt to migrate guest to the same host dell

Is there some way I can get this to work? If the solution
requires changing the source code, then that is
also fine. Using qemu-system-x86_64 to perform
migration allows same-host migration. I need the same
functionality using virsh as libvirt performs some additional
servicing which is required for the device I am migrating.

Thanks,
Sukrit