[libvirt-users] why attach-disk can't be effective when the guest is booting

Jianan Gao jgao at redhat.com
Thu Mar 7 09:15:49 UTC 2019

Hi,
      When i use "virsh attach-device rhel disk.xml" when the guest is
booting,then i can't find the disk in the guest after booting.But i can
find it by "virsh domblklist rhel",and when i want to detach it from the
guest and use "virsh detach-disk rhel vdb", i still can find the disk by
"virsh domblklist rhel"
    The disk.xml is like:
<disk type="file" device="disk">
<driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none'/>
<source file="/var/lib/libvirt/images/foo.img"/>
<target dev="vdb" bus="virtio"/>
</disk>

Libvirt-release is 5.0.0.4 and the qemu-kvm release is 3.1.0

So i want to know why it failed to attach-disk when booting,and why we design
in this way.Maybe it's better to return failure if we can't use it like
this.