[libvirt-users] Error starting domain: internal error: Unable to add port vnet0 to OVS bridge br0

Laine Stump laine at redhat.com
Tue Mar 19 18:39:57 UTC 2019

On 3/15/19 3:21 AM, Harsh Gondaliya wrote:
> I have installed OVS from sources using the installation steps mentioned
> on this link: http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/install/general/
>
> I had installed libvrt, KVM, QEMU and all the necessary packages using
> apt-get. My KVM-QEMU hypervisor has been running well.
>
> To add a VM with the port attached to OVS bridge I changed the XML
> domain file as per the instructions on this page:
> http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/howto/libvirt/
>
> But the when I start the VM using the Virtual Machine Manager I get
> the following error:
> *Error starting domain: internal error: Unable to add port vnet0 to OVS
> bridge br0*

libvirt is creating a tap device, then running ovs-vsctl to attempt to
attach it to the configured switch. To see what command is run, and what
error is output, add this to your /etc/libvirt/libvirt.d:

   log_filters="1:util.command 1:util.netdevopenvswitch"
   log_outputs="1:syslog:libvirtd.service"

and restart the libvirt service, then attempt to start your guest while
watching the system logs. You will see an ovs-vsctl command run by
virCommandRunAsync. That command and its output should give you a clue
to what is missing from the locally-built openvswitch vs the official
package installed with apt-get.