[libvirt-users] libvirtd not starting

Lothar Schilling ls at proasyl.de
Thu May 2 09:22:39 UTC 2019

Hi everybody,

I've set up an new CentOS 7.6.1810 server. Then, via yum I installed
qemu-kvm libvirt libvirt-python libguestfs-tools virt-install. There
were no problems. But when I try to

systemctl start libvirtd

I get the following message:

"libvirtd: process 472: arguments to dbus_message_iter_append_basic()
were incorrect, assertion "_dbus_check_is_valid_utf8 (*string_p)" failed
in file ../../dbus/dbus-message.c line 2754."

Starting libvirtd manually just by issuing the command "libvirtd"
without any further arguments is working, though.

I do not have the slightest idea what is going on, especially as I
didn't change anything about the config files.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Lothar Schilling