[libvirt-users] Easy solution for custom firewall rules- is it possible?

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Fri May 31 01:44:09 UTC 2019

Hello All-

I've looked in several places and haven't found an answer to this
question: is it possible to have libvirt add custom rules to iptables
for virtual network interfaces?  I took a look at the "Firewall and
Network Filtering in Libvirt" page and it seems overly complicated for
what I want to do.

Given an interface virbr2 and its network 192.168.4.0/24, libvirt
installs the following rules in iptables.  Essentially, these rules
will drop any packets for the interface virbr2 where the source or
destination is not on the 192.168.4.0/24 network.

-P FORWARD ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -d 192.168.4.0/24 -o virbr2 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -s 192.168.4.0/24 -i virbr2 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i virbr2 -o virbr2 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -o virbr2 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
-A FORWARD -i virbr2 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

I have a VPN server on the 4/24 network- and it hands out addresses in
the 8/24 network.  So I would like libvirt to also create the
following rules in iptables:

-A FORWARD -d 192.168.8.0/24 -o virbr2 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -s 192.168.8.0/24 -i virbr2 -j ACCEPT

I've tried creating direct rules in firewalld for the FORWARD_direct
chain.  Firewalld happily creates those rules, but they are never
reached, because they fall AFTER the libvirt rules.  I've also tried
creating an IP address on the virbr2 interface in the 8/24 network,
but that doesn't work either.  How can I get this done?

Thanks!!
-JK