[libvirt-users] Understanding the use of virt-install from the CLI (Linux)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Thu Nov 7 16:02:49 UTC 2019

Hello,

I've created several VMs using virt-manager and am using them.  This
time around though, I'd like to use the CLI approach.  The problem
resides in defining a storage space.  This is using virt-install 1.5.1
on Xubuntu 18.04.

For the occasion I created a new directory to store images.  So I
specify this new directory:

virt-install \
--name=arch01 \
--disk path=/Share2/KVMImages/arch01.qcow2 \
--disk size=10 \
[ ... ]

The above will not work as it reports:

'must be a file or a device, not a directory'

So I specify a file:

[ ... ]
--disk path=/Share2/KVMImages/arch01.qcow2 \
--disk size=10 \
[ ... ]

And it reports:

'Size must be specified for non existent volume 'arch01.qcow2''

But the size is already specified as one of the options.

This is where I'm puzzled about the process.  What is going on ?